The 2009 department consisting of fifty well-trained and dedicated officers grew from a police force of seven men equipped with two bicycles and one revolver between them. With Police Chief Harry C. Smith, former Stamford Police Department Sergeant, the department began operations from within the town hall on the Post Road. In 1932, a new headquarters and court room were built on Hecker Avenue. An addition to the facility in 1967 allowed for an expansion of police services. Similarly, the 2009 renovations and additions sought to afford an increased ability to better serve the community of Darien.
This project included the renovation of an existing 30,000 square-foot police facility and an addition of approximately 34,000 square feet. Systems include geothermal heating and cooling, photovoltaic panels, FM200 system for the computer room, and a standby generator to support full building operations.
While the town of Darien and its police department recognize that their best resource will continue to be their dedicated and tireless officers, the benefits to be had from this new, up-to-date, technologically advanced facility are numerous. Among those advantages will be the creation of an environment that meets the needs of a top-notch police department.