The goal of the Yale University President’s House renovation was to restore the home to its prior elegance and enhance the university’s ability to host a multitude of functions. Originally built in 1871 for Henry Farnam, the home was acquired by Yale in 1934, and was reconstructed three years later in a Georgian Revival style with architects Kimball & Husted. Located at 43 Hillhouse Avenue, the President’s House is a contributing structure within the Hillhouse National Historic District.
Comprehensive interior and exterior renovations to the three-story home included provisions to upgrade building infrastructure systems, provide accessibility, improve event catering spaces and restrooms, preserve the character of historic elements, and restore the surrounding landscape.
With artwork from the Yale University Art Gallery and the British Art Museum also residing in the home, mechanical system selections for the gallery areas were coordinated with each art gallery’s curator. Interior and exterior architectural walls and envelope were reviewed in order to properly maintain the strict temperature and humidity requirements. The mechanical system design called for a variable refrigerant volume system which helps the building achieve energy performance exceeding 25% over the baseline.