In the 1920s, Herbert J. Krapps was commissioned to remodel “The Little Theater” as it was known. The primary focus of the renovations was the creation of the balcony. The hope was that the extra seating would generate additional revenues.
Following the expansion, the curtain continued to rise until The New York Times purchased the theater in 1931. The space was then converted to a conference hall. For some time, the facility also served as a radio and television studio. Personalities such as Dick Clark, Johnny Carson, and Merv Griffin broadcast from the hall. Fortunately for New York theater-goers, the Little Theater returned to its Broadway roots in the early 1980s. Unfortunately, the nearly 600-seat theater had suffered some disrepair.
Some years after participating in a facilities and equipment study, Kohler Ronan was asked back to the heart of Broadway’s Theater District to design MEP/FP systems supporting renovations including substantial upgrades to the MEP/FP infrastructure at the back-of-house as well as public and support spaces throughout the theater. The program called for additional restrooms, functional improvements to the back-of-house and public circulation areas, and aesthetic changes to front-of-house areas.